Peanut Butter & Jelly: The Smoothie
It's exactly what it sounds like: perfection in a glass.
About a year ago I was challenged to make the ultimate smoothie: it had to be filling, it had to be full of goodness, it had to be thick (but drinkable with a straw), it had to be beautiful, and it had to taste like drinking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Challenge accepted.
I played around with the recipe for a while, and finally nailed it:
- Organic Rolled Oats, Sesame Seeds, and Flax Seeds would be the "bread,"
- Organic Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter) would be.. well, the peanut butter,
- A Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam + extra frozen Strawberries would be the "jelly,"
- Homemade Almond Milk spiced with Cinnamon would "wash it down," and
- Half of a frozen Banana would bind it all together.
This is an incredible option for breakfast as it truly does fill you up, and really is an entire meal in a glass! It has everything you need: whole grains, fiber, protein, good fats, vitamins, minerals, and natural sugars for energy. Here is how it's done:
Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie
Vegan // Serves 1
This recipe uses strawberries for the jam & smoothie, but if you prefer raspberries or if blackberries are on sale, you can easily sub another fruit wherever you see strawberries in this recipe! I have made this with various jams, and it always comes out delicious.
- 1 Cup Nut Milk (I used Homemade Almond Milk, but any Non-Dairy Milk will work!)
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Nut Butter (Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew Butter...)
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Strawberry Chia Jam*
- 5-7 Strawberries, frozen
- 1/2 Banana, frozen
- 1/4 Cup Organic Rolled Oats
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Flaxseeds
- A few shakes Cinnamon
- A pinch of Sea or Pink Salt
- Optional: 2 Dates or 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup (if you'd like it to taste a little sweeter)
* Strawberry Chia Jam (makes a little less than 1 cup jam):
Make this the night before or at least a few hours before using so the chia seeds can activate, which improves digestion, prolongs hydration, and allows the nutrients to be better absorbed and assimilated in your body. Simply chop strawberries and add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. You can leave it chunky or make it smooth. It will thicken slightly as the chia seeds activate.
- 1 Cup Strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Drizzle of Organic Grade A Maple Syrup
1. Make your Strawberry Chia Jam and set in fridge to activate! Also be sure to freeze your banana slices and strawberries at this time.
2. Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, and blend to combine. You should get a thick, slightly pink smoothie. If it's too thick, just add extra non-dairy milk. If it's not thick enough, add extra frozen fruit or more oats.
3. Taste it! If it's not sweet enough, you can add extra strawberries, extra jam, 2 dates, or a drizzle of maple syrup. If you'd like it to be more pink, a few extra strawberries do the trick.
4. Serve as-is or swirl a little extra Strawberry Chia Jam on top!