Yellow Sunshine Juice
My love affair with juicing began in 2011 when I worked at lululemon and all the craze was juice cleanses. Being curious and loving everything food-related, I decided to try one.. until I found the cheapest cleanse to cost roughy $100/day (and you were expected to do this for 5 days). I'm not made of money, and I also know how much produce costs. So, being the person that I am (I used to get kicked out of class all of the time for asking "too many questions." This is one of the main reasons that I became a teacher, but that is a story for another time. But, students out there? ASK YOUR QUESTIONS), I decided to create my own juice cleanse. I did already own a juicer (I bought it when my roommate and I were doing P90X in 2009) and enjoyed juicing, but it was never a regular thing.. until after this cleanse.
If you want to see what a "food blog" looked like in 2010/2011, and probably have a good laugh, take a peak at my juice cleanse post. In summary:
- I did the entire 5-Day cleanse and spent less than $100 on fresh, local produce.
- I even had fruits and vegetables left over!
- I wasn't hungry, but I did crave foods that I could chew.
- I learned a thing or two about juicing in regards to flavor combinations in addition to realizing that we lose a lot of fiber when we juice, which has led me to live a life full of juices AND smoothies.
While juice cleanses are a great "quick fix," wellness is a journey. If you have a few days to relax in the warmer months before a really important meeting on the beach, juice cleanses are fantastic. You'll lose weight, your skin will brighten up, and you'll feel lighter. But, the minute you start eating again, you're going to gain the majority of that weight back (you'll keep the glow if you transition back in with raw, awesome foods). My suggestion is to add juices into your normal routine when you'd like a pick me up, a burst of nutrition, a quality snack or meal-on-the-go, or a delicious and healthier mixer for cocktails.
My favorite way to juice is by color. If it's a gloomy day or I just need a burst of energy, yellow is the way to go.
Yellow Sunshine Juice
Vegan, Gluten-Free // Serves 1 (large) or 2 (small)
- 1/2 Pineapple, skin removed and cored
- 1 Mango, skin removed and pitted
- 1 Yellow Pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1 Yellow Apple (I used Opal), cored
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1-inch knob of Ginger
- Optional: a few shakes of ground Turmeric or a small piece of fresh Turmeric
IF USING A JUICER: Simply juice all ingredients together! Garnish with a lemon slice for some extra sunshine! After this photo, I tossed in one of my Greens Cubes and let it slowly melt and swirl into my juice- it was magical!
IF USING A BLENDER or FOOD PROCESSOR: Blend/combine all ingredients together. Then, strain the pulp using a nut bag or cheesecloth (recommended) or a sieve (if you have a super thin one). If you like thick drinks, you can also just go ahead and leave this as-is (it'll technically be a smoothie, but who cares!).